Friday, August 17, 2012

Give Wholeheartedly

Last Sunday I was nearing the end of my shift at work. While I was standing at the front of the restaurant ready to clock out, a woman walks in with her child in a stroller. She asked, "Do you know where there is a church where I can pick up some pampers for my baby?" I am unfamiliar with the surrounding area so I was, so I thought, useless. However, after realizing that none of my co-workers could or would help her, it suddenly hit me... (Steph, you must help her!)

I quickly spoke up before she could turn her back, I looked her in the eyes and timidly said, "I'll help you." This woman was practically startled, she couldn't comprehend the idea of a stranger helping her in such a way. But, I reassured her, I was willing to help.

We walked across the street to the market to buy the pampers. I was on a mission to change this ladies day. I had not the slightest clue how pricey pampers were, but I tried to zone the money matters out. All I really cared about was that I was embracing the act of giving.

As we strolled up the aisle where the pampers lay stashed, I asked the mother what her babies name was. His name is Christian, 2 years old. I glimpsed down at him as he sat there with a smile pasted to his face, his young eyes sparkling. Words truly cannot describe the feeling Christian gave me in that moment.

As we approached check-out the woman was telling me how she isn't used to asking for help. Her whole life she's tried to make it on her own living in New York City. I told her how important it is to never be hesitant in asking others for help, because I know for one, I'd not be where I am today if I hadn't asked. And for two, she wouldn't have met me if she didn't feel the need to ask her initial question.

Giving wholeheartedly always leaves me with such a vibrant feeling. I strive to live my life according to the virtue of treating others the way I want to be treated. And I always try to remember the times when I needed help the most, and those people who gave to me with their heart.

Mariane, was her name, and she was a blessing in disguise. Although I had provided her with a deed, it was she who uplifted me. And in return, I uplifted her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment