Sunday, August 5, 2012

Optimistically Sunny

This morning when I was putting my surfboard in the trunk of my roommates car, I waved hello to my neighbor. He asked if I knew what the weather was looking like for the day and I responded with a smile, "optimistically sunny." But in all actuality, the sky was heavily clouded with a layer of gray and I had the feeling the sun wouldn't be shining. However, I was thinking in terms of a metaphor.

So many times people are too concerned with what the weather will look like for the day, the next or even the following week. On the other hand, I rarely question what our Mother Earth will be bringing us. The weather is as unpredictable as the motion of the ocean (mocean). Rather than trying to revolve our days around what the weather "might" look like, let us follow the day as it comes.

We shouldn't wait around for the sun to shine, because if you look deep enough, the sun is always shining on the inside, it's just a matter of recognizing that inner light. And besides more than half the times I've ever "relied" on a meteorologist for my daily forecast, they were wrong. That says enough in itself.

The Last Sunset
So, even though today I didn't see a lick of sunshine, I still went through with what I was compelled to do. Sunday was enough sun for me. And tomorrow, if it rains or shines, I'll be just as content with what falls on me.

"You don't know the first thing about tomorrow. You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing." James 4:13-15


No comments:

Post a Comment